Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Art angel

I noticed it has been exactly one year ago that I posted last to my blog.  Since opening my facebook page: angelicartandcraft, I have been neglecting my blog.  I found it easier and quicker to create a post on my facebook page compared to writing on the blog.  I started my blog originally with the intention to keep a chronological diary of my creations.  I tend to work on different projects and in different art journals over time, and I also don't always date my work.  So I thought this is a good way to see what I have been up to over the course of a year. 

I have a love/hate relationships with social media.  I love the interaction and inspiration I get from seeing the artwork of other artists.  But I also find myself being sucked into a social media vortex where I can end up just looking and admiring other peoples art without getting any art done myself at all.  It was meant to inspire me, not stop me from creating art.  But we only have so much time in a day.  We need to choose wisely how we want to spend our time.  It is hard to find an even balance between making time to create and spending time online sharing what you have made or admiring creations of others.  This is one reason why I stopped posting on my blog.  I found it was very time consuming.  Time I rather spend making art.

Why am I called today to post on my blog?
People keep telling me to not just hide in my closet making art, but they love to see it and have told me that I should keep sharing what I make. 
I like to share the stages of my latest art angel I created, after I had another creative break.  I tend to have creative breaks, when the rest of my life commitments consume most of my time.  When I created this art angel on the weekend, it went through several phases.  Phases of what felt to me like the ugly stages.  Not sure if I still had it in me to create a face.  When I have not drawn for a while I can feel that my creative muscle needs attending to again.  It is like I loose the momentum each time I have a creative break, and need to start all over again learning how to draw a face.  I expected it was like riding a bike.  Once you know how to do it, you just get on your bike and ride again.  But to me it feels more like going to the gym.  Every time you have a break of any type of fitness regime, you need to re-train yourself again to get up to that same level of fitness that you were before you took the break.
I took photos at several intervals of the creation.  My art went through stages that I was not happy with, but I kept persisting and I am glad I did.  I am very happy with the final result. I thought the blog would be the best place to share the making of this angel as I can post the photo's in order that I created the angel, which is a bit harder to do on the facebook page.

Why I wanted to create an angel:
I am waiting in anticipation for the new online class of Kelly Rae Roberts to start in early October called: Spirit Wings.  I have been a big fan of Kelly Rae Roberts art for a while now.  It all started when I was gifted a Kelly Rae Roberts ornamental angel.  It was more then a year after receiving this gift that one day I decided to type KRR into google and found her website.  Here I then found she had written a book, called: 'Taking flight'.  I ordered the book and then it still took another few months before I actually read it from start to finish.  Whilst I was reading the book on holidays around the same time Kelly released her online class: 'hello soul, hello mixed media mantras'.  Once again I felt called to sign up for this class.  In my last post (15 Sept 2014) I shared some of the backgrounds that I created a year ago at the start of this online class.

This is my finished mantra painting that I created last year:




So next, as promised the making of the 'inspiration' angel, inspired by the art of Kelly Rae Roberts:



































And here is the final scanned copy:



I hope that reading and viewing this post may be a form of inspiration to anyone.
I love creating art as it allows me to relax and forget momentarily about any other life commitments or concerns.  Whilst creating it gives me the feeling that time does not exist.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful art and your journey. The art world is a better place with you in it. C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn, my beautiful friend. I feel honored to share this creative journey with you.

      Delete